Sunday, September 27, 2009

sunday school lessons



I've been teaching a 3rd grade Bible study class with Teacher Edith on Sundays before Marangatu's adult service. Ever since Festiniños (forgot to blog about it, but it was a huge evangelical event for children with an attendance of 20,000 people from local Paraguayan churches), the number of kids coming to escuela dominical has significantly increased over the past two weeks. Hopefully our Sunday children's services will grow deeper as it grows bigger!

Effective ministry necessitates child-like humility, something my students have been challenging me to cultivate as I get to know them more. They are humble in the complete sense of the word, but not just because they are lacking in social status or economic wealth. Practically speaking, as children they are unable to help themselves and are totally dependent on others to survive. Such humility causes me to consider my standing before an awesome, almighty God. In the light of His holiness, what can I possibly offer? Like a child, I am utterly helpless, totally dependent, completely in need.

But what also strikes me is the freedom that the little ones have, untroubled by the worries of this world because of the confidence they have in their parents to provide what's best for them. Right now, the economy may be tough and jobs may be scarce, but the kids are unfazed by these momentary drawbacks. They continue to play with their dolls and action figures, kick around their soccer balls, draw on each others' faces with markers. Life is good.

Christ died for me because God knew what was best for me. To be like a child, to serve the children - this is how we glorify God. With this simple, humble, trusting faith, I can now come before my own Father, abandoning my anxieties to live freely in His covenant promises. What a precious gift, this grace.
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine
O what a foretaste of glory divine!

Heir of salvation
, purchase of God,
Born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.


Prayer
: for Juana, Miriam, Jennifer, Hernan, Esteban, and Teacher Edith; for faith like a child.

Hayhu
Love

3 comments:

  1. Um, can I say I LOVE your new picture and layout and errthang :) Did you take them? Because they're awesome. And as always, thanks for the encouraging post! Say hi to the Chos and Nacho and everyoneee for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the new layout. so beautiful. great to see the faces of Paraguayan children.

    ReplyDelete