Although Thanksgiving isn't a national holiday in Paraguay, I was still able to celebrate it and reflect on the many, many blessings I've been given with Americans and locals alike. Some things I was thankful for this week:
We had communion on Sunday, followed by the baptisms of two dozen new members at Marangatu, including my friend Perla (or as she's known at CPC, "Gilmer's wife"). Gilmer is currently a resident at USC Med, while Perla is completing her last year of university here in Paraguay. Their wedding is coming up soon -- 20 days, to be exact!
L to R: Lucho, Perla (Lucho's aunt, even though they're only a few years apart in age), Sole, and yours truly
One thing I like about Marangatu is how different families will invite other families to share a meal in their home after Sunday services. It's very intimate and home-y. This week I went to Adela Segovia's house, where she held a tallarínada (like a bake sale, but with tallarín - spaghetti with a ragù sauce) to help raise funds for her brother's medical bills.

Adela used to be the cantinera (cafeteria lady) at Colegio Cerritos, but stepped down to open up a general store and food stall in front of her home. She has a huge heart for serving through cooking, and is the go-to person for any event in which food is required - Bible study refreshments, Saturday lunches at La Esquina de la Sonrisa, meals for CPC's short-term summer missionaries.
Adela's daughter, Diana, collected donations. I had lunch (below) with these lovely people (above).
Monday - encouraging & challenging conversations (in English!) with fellow American missionaries; banana cream pie
(Google Images)
Michelle and Arah (Pastor Cho's daughters) are students at Asunción Christian Academy, an American international school. They invited me to Thanksgiving lunch with some ACA faculty and Board of Directors. It was nice meeting fellow missionaries from the all over the States, and hearing their stories about how they ended up teaching in Paraguay. At my table alone were represented Minnesota, North Carolina, West Virginia, Rhode Island, and California. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera, so you'll just have to imagine the tables and tables of turkey/stuffing/mashed potatoes/salad/rolls/etc. we feasted on. They also made individual pies - peach, walnut, lemon meringue, banana cream - for each person to take home! Needless to say, I slept excellently that night.
Tuesday - my beautiful students at Colegio Cerritos
The nivel inicial (nursery, pre-school, and kindergarten) had their last day of school, which meant lots of food, presents, and play time. I spent most of the day with my littlest ones in maternal.

The students brought gifts for Profesora Rosanna. Instead of apples, teachers in Paraguay get new thermoses for their tereré.
TA Romina, Profesora Rosanna, and my maternal class

Wednesday - my beautiful students at Escuela Marangatu
For Escuela Marangatu's end-of-the-year clausura, I had my kindergartners sing "This Little Light of Mine," and my pre-schoolers perform a body worship to "Every Move I Make." Even though they couldn't pronounce the words that well ("Dees lee-yull lai uh myyy...ah yuh ma lay ee shyyy..."), at least they looked adorable on stage.

The main presentation of the night was the musical, "El Arca de Noé." Each student was paired off and dressed up as one of the many creatures aboard Noah's Ark.
Clockwise from top left: A peacock, mouse, parrot, and snake
One of my favorites - a simple little sheep. His costume looked really comfortable.
I can't imagine how many hours it took to sew on every peacock feather or cut out each crocodile tooth for fifty children, but it blows me away to see how much dedication was involved in the making of these costumes. The Paraguayans have been teaching me much lately about exercising more patience and care in my work, even if it's not by the quickest or easiest route.
Thursday - giving thanks with people I'm thankful for
Some jovenes came over to the mission house to be the guinea pigs for my first home-made Thanksgiving meal. Staples like cranberry sauce, stuffing mix, and pre-made pie crusts don't exist in the local markets, so I had to improvise and make everything from scratch. Fortunately, Paraguayans think Americans are strange for eating turkey (it'd be just as weird as if I said I ate a peacock for dinner), so I was spared from having to wrestle with a 14-pound bird and served up a much friendlier fowl instead - chicken!

Sides (a.k.a. carb overload) - garlic bread; dinner rolls with honey butter; ABC (Apple, Bread, & Celery) stuffing; roasted garlic mashed potatoes; Summit House's creamed corn; green salad with a honey-mustard vinaigrette
Main - Southern-fried chicken & gravy; chorizos parrilleros (barbecued sausage)
Dessert - brownies; peach smoothies
These brothers and sisters have been my translators, Guarani/Spanish teachers, chauffeurs, and tour guides in Paraguay. Don't know what I would've done without them!
Friday - sleeping in; having leftovers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; the Muppets version of "Bohemian Rhapsody"
And fin.
Prayer: To continue being focused and productive with my time, especially since school has ended and the hot weather makes everyone feel a little kaigue
Kaigue
Listless, apathetic, bored











dude ck, I couldn't stop laughing at the sheep photo. SO FREAKING FUNNY! HAHAHAhaha I like the second picture the best, where he's looking behind his shoulder.
ReplyDeletethose costumes are so awesome! and i LOVE the second one with the backward glance too... !!! hahaha!
ReplyDeleteDude those photos from thursday made me super sad. I really wish I was there. Sigh, hope you're having a good time. See you soon ck!
ReplyDelete