Friday, June 11, 2010

FIFA fevah


The entire country has been tingling with World Cup fever since last year, when Paraguay qualified for the international soccer tournament.  I don't think I've ever experienced this kind of fanatic patriotism for the World Cup in my own country -- the closest I can recall was during the 2002 games in South Korea, when I donned my "Be The Reds!" paraphernalia and watched every South Korea match from home/the Galleria mall/Staples Center/random restaurant in K-town.  It was one thing to celebrate with my fellow Korean-Americans every time a goal was scored, but I can only imagine what it must've been like to actually be in South Korea during that time.


Even though I'll be cheering on South Korea and USA this year, I can't help but root for the underdogs of Paraguay's La Albirroja ("The Red and White") as well.  Soccer is a very, very big deal here.  So big that the Vice Minister of Education even issued a media statement to let students watch the games during school hours.  (I should be chasing around 32 rambunctious second-graders right now, but instead I'm writing this entry as I watch the South Africa v. Mexico game from my calm, quiet home.  Thank you, Vice Minister.)




So. Pumped. Up. Right. Now.

Athletic prowess and fancy footwork can be impressive, but ultimately it's the spirit of passion and unity that I love most about sports.  (Seriously, how can you watch any sports flick and not feel inspired?  "Rudy," "Remember the Titans," and even "The Replacements" -- all classics in my book.)  Sporting events always remind me of the greater heavenly celebration to come...to picture God's creation whooping, shouting, and clapping those great celestial thundersticks in praise of Him who is seated on His holy throne.  (At least, I imagine there must be thundersticks in heaven.  Or possibly some other kind of "joyful noise"-maker.)

By the way, how cool are all the World Cup-themed logos on the World Wide Web?





My schedule for the next few weeks:



It's game time, baby.

4 comments:

  1. I think in heaven, it won't be thundersticks, but thunder itself! ...but thunder is sound....so lightning. ...lightning sticks. We'll clap lightsabers in heaven! even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha same song, but cool video!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0a8hllj6bg
    the only time maddie and i wished we were korean :) hahaha
    miss you ck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOHOO! i know, it's so exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my google calender looks exactly the same. go corea, usa, paraguay!

    ReplyDelete