Wednesday, February 17, 2010

proyecto daniel




I woke up to my alarm beeping at 4:00 AM this morning, well before the roosters that live behind my house could cock-a-doodle-doo! me out of sweet slumber. I normally get up pretty early -- especially since school started again on Monday -- but today I woke up an hour earlier to make it on time for Proyecto Daniel at Marangatu.

For 2010, Pastor Cho has been challenging the church to be one powered by prayer, so we kicked off the weekly early-morning service we'll be holding this year with some joyful praise, a brief sermon, and a time of intercession. Proyecto Daniel (or in English, "Project Daniel") derives its name from Daniel of the Bible, a man of great faith and prayer: "Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before" (Daniel 6:10b).

I was deeply encouraged (and shamefully surprised -- oh ye, of little faith!) by the great turnout at our first PD service. The average Paraguayan workday begins around 6:00 or 7:00 AM, so I expected maybe half of the congregation to come out at 5:00 AM in the middle of the week. I was humbled by my doubt when I arrived at Marangatu and saw the sanctuary full of people dressed in their work clothes and uniforms. There were almost as many church members this morning as there were this past Sunday, including a significant number from the jovenes (young adult) and adolescentes (high school) groups. There was even a couple who came all the way from the city of Aregua, a 2.5 hour bus ride away from Marangatu. From the very young to the very old, very near and very far -- it was a true joy to worship with these brothers and sisters, first thing in the morning.

I was especially thankful for the family who prepared a light breakfast of fresh chipa, coffee, and juice for the 100+ attendees. They must have woken up at least an hour or two earlier than me to prepare and serve everyone. After being fed spiritually, ain't nothing like some highly-caffeinated, sugar-injected Paraguayan coffee to get the body moving for the rest of the day :)

Prayer: for Iglesia Marangatu and Proyecto Daniel

Mombarete
To strengthen

4 comments:

  1. uh oh... that's not safe for you ck. stay away! you'll become weird again! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. ck this post is so encouraging. I totally thought the same thing as you as I was reading it. I have so little faith =(

    ReplyDelete