Although it's been almost four months now, I'm glad there are still many firsts to encounter. I'm humbly reminded that I have much to learn -- especially in the common mistakes I continue to make, like taking the wrong bus or committing a cultural faux pas. But in faith-stretching times, God's faithfulness is made all the more evident, and it's with a thankful heart that I welcome these new and challenging experiences.
A hodgepodge of firsts from this weekend:
- Riding a motorcycle (don't worry Mom, I just rode on the back of one. With a helmet)

- Seeing a live scorpion (it crawled up from my kitchen sink as I was washing dishes. No wonder they're always used in torture scenes or scary movies...these are gnarly little buggers)
- Learning that cockroaches poop (everywhere)

- Teaching Paraguayans how to cook Korean food (it was a good opportunity to a) practice my Spanish, b) share a bit of my culture, and c) build deeper relationships with the locals. Also learned that they really, really, really like kimchi)

- Having laptop issues in a foreign country (it stays stuck on the start-up screen and won't load the desktop...Mac users, help? But besides the minor inconvenience of not being able to update as often or check e-mails from home, it's actually quite liberating to not have constant Internet as an additional distraction. I've been kept company by the likes of A.W. Tozer, R.C. Sproul, C.S. Lewis, John Bunyan, Charlotte Bronte...just of a few of the authors whose books I've had more time to read lately. I was surprised to find such a selection from our school's library)


My firsts may range from the good, the bad, and the creepy, but at the end of the day I'm always reminded that He who is First makes these firsts even possible. The Alpha and Omega. The Beginning and End. Nothing happens by chance, luck, or fate, but only by God's sovereign hand and His perfect will. What peace this brings, to know that He's got it all under control.
Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.
Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
Prayer: trust, obedience, and flexibility in the work laid out for me in Paraguay
One, two, three
A LIVE SCORPION???? I THINK I WOULD HAVE DIED.
ReplyDeleteDang the story on the colectivo is so crazy! Amazing grace, indeed :)
Did you get to ride on Cristian Jara's motorcycle?!
your posts make me smile.
ReplyDeletehaha.
=]
@michelle - I KNOW I almost died trying to flush it down the sink. He was a persistent little guy and kept crawling back up the drain :(
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I rode Cristian's bike! I was at a bus stop, waiting for a colectivo to come but it was starting to get dark (not the wisest time for a conspicuous foreigner to be out and about in Paraguay), and I only had a few minutes left to get to Marangatu's Bible Study. Out of nowhere, Cristian pulled up in front of me and offered me a ride to church, saving me 2500 guaranies (about 50 cents) and the additional 10 minutes it would've taken by colectivo. More amazing grace!
@CJ - YOU always make me smile :)
"saving me 2500 guaranies" hahahahahaha, 2500 guaranies sounds like ALOT!
ReplyDeleteand i can't believe your mac already broke down. you just got it!
try booting it in safe mode. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455?viewlocale=en_US
ReplyDelete...BUT it might be a hard drive failure and if it is....I don't know what you can do about it in Paraguay =\