Tuesday, December 8, 2009

virgin of caacupé

A statue of the Virgin of Caacupé is carried through a crowd on Dia de la Vírgen (Google images)

Saudi Arabia has its Mecca. Rome has the Vatican (though technically, Vatican City is its own city-state). And in Paraguay, an annual pilgrimage is made to the country's holy city of Caacupé. Paraguayans celebrate December 8th, "Dia de la Vírgen," by traveling on foot to the Basilica of Caacupé and paying tribute to a seventeenth-century wood-carved statue of the Virgin Mary, in hopes of securing good fortune for the following year.

The Guarani Indian (Google images)

The legend begins in the Tobati mountains of Paraguay, where a Guaraní Indian was being chased by a group of Mbaya Indians for converting to Christianity. The Mbaya were known to be hostile to this foreign religion and persecuted its followers. In despair, the Guaraní Indian - who was also a skilled sculptor - prayed to the Virgin Mary for protection from his enemies, and vowed to carve a beautiful sculpture of the Virgin if he survived. The Virgin appeared and led the Indian to the thick trunk of a nearby yerba mate tree, where he hid and remained unseen by his Mbaya pursuers.

As a sign of gratitude for this miraculous deliverance, the Indian dedicated himself to fulfilling his promise to the Virgin and made two sculptures from the wood of the tree where he was saved - one to be kept in a church in Tobati, and a smaller one for his personal devotion. Many years later, the latter was saved from a devastating local flood. This and other miracles have been attributed to the Virgin. Today, her statue is worshipped by thousands in the cathedral at Caacupé.

La Basílica de la Vírgen de Nuestra Señora de los Milagros de Caacupé (Google images)

For the past few days, the country has been abuzz with preparation for this pilgrimage. Over ninety percent of Paraguayans profess to be Catholic - a staggering number that is maintained by a strong religious influence in Latin American culture. The fact that it's the middle of summer didn't deter these devoted pilgrims. Old, young, rich, poor - they all trekked on through miles of heat and discomfort, focused on the promise of health and wealth to be found at their final destination.

As I watched the televised mecca to Caacupé, I was grateful for the truth of the Gospel that has been illuminated in my life. Grateful that even when I was dead in my trespasses, God made me alive in Christ (Eph. 2:5). Grateful that He saved me from bondage to the worldly idols I used to serve over and over and over again in a vicious cycle of sin. Were it not for the grace of God, I would be among the throngs of these pilgrims seeking temporary satisfaction from worldly troubles, with eyes fixed on creation instead of the Creator (Rom. 1:22-25).

It was sobering, to witness so many people looking to this two-foot wooden statue for salvation from hunger, sickness, homelessness, unemployment, financial woes, depression, heartache, corruption...and yet they are still lost, still confused, still turning the things of this world into idols.

I've been there. And whenever I think back to my pre-Christian days, I am so, so, so, so, so thankful that I am no longer stuck in that rut, turning from one idol to another to satisfy me. It's amazing how much I thought I knew back then, when I really didn't know anything at all. (And even now, there is so much I still don't know. Years from now I'll probably look back at myself and laugh again at all that I think I know today. Thank you Lord for having mercy on a stubborn, prideful, ignorant soul like me, and revealing your truths in my life!)

The hunger for a Savior here is deep. Please pray for Paraguay, that the people of this country would come to know Christ as their only Redeemer and find everlasting refuge in the Creator.

"Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways."
Psalm 119:34-37

Prayer: of thanks for the power of the Gospel to save sinners like me; for a heart that keeps breaking for the lost; that the eyes of the Paraguayans and myself would be turned away from worthless things and towards worthy things, to give God the full glory He deserves.

Jaha
Let's go!

2 comments:

  1. Just what I needed, just when I needed it. Thank you for the reminder CK.

    ReplyDelete