2010 ACSI Convention inside the gym of Colegio Johannes Gutenberg, the largest Christian academy in Paraguay
Just came back from a two-day ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) convention, which the faculty from Colegio Cerritos and Escuela Marangatu were required to attend. This year's keynote speaker was Dr. Timothy Heaton, a professor from Cedarville University in Ohio. He was accompanied by a translator who stood on stage with him and translated for our Paraguayan audience. (It was strange but refreshing to hear someone -- other than myself or the Chos -- speaking in complete, fluent English again. It's been a while)
Reppin' CPC - not just Cerritos Presbyterian Church, but also Colegio Presbiteriano Cerritos
This year's theme was "Aulas de Impacto," or "Classrooms of Impact." Even though the convention primarily focused on approaching classroom issues from a biblical perspective, I found the seminars to be just as applicable and beneficial to the Christian life in general. In one seminar titled "Marks Of A Quality Education," Dr. Heaton covered...well, marks of a quality education, such as showing grace and mercy; cultivating a teachable heart; transforming conflicts into opportunities; having a passion for the mission; leading by example, with integrity. Recognizing my weaknesses in various areas as a teacher was humbling, to say the least, but served as a necessary reminder of how Christ's power is made perfect in weakness, and that His grace alone is sufficient. Complete surrender = complete freedom in Christ.
An outline from Dr. Heaton's "Introduction to Wisdom: Teaching Students To Be Critical, Biblical Thinkers" seminar
When Dr. Heaton talked about teaching as a God-given responsibility, I was reminded of an old Tim Keller sermon about spiritual duties and spiritual gifts. All Christians are called to certain duties, but some are especially gifted at it (paraphrased). I may not be especially gifted like some excellent teachers I know, nor have the kind of passion required for this profession, but teaching (along with the disciplines of evangelism, prayer, reading, faith, etc.) is still my spiritual duty.
Booths of books, teaching materials, and apparel/convention memorabilia
I'll be honest -- it can be extremely difficult at times, and I certainly have a newfound respect for educators around the world. But even if I have to try a little harder than others who possess a natural gift of teaching, right now, I've been given stewardship over the lives of these Paraguayan children. God ordained this time in my life to be dedicated to serving through teaching, so I resolve to do my best and do it well for His glory.
Me and some teachers from Colegio Cerritos during our lunch break
Overall, it was a constructive weekend full of great speakers, great seminars, and a great runny nose that kept me honking like a goose every five minutes. I've never been so sick so frequently as I have been in the past few months. Please pray for spiritual strength in spite of my physical weakness.
Gracias y bendiciones!
Che mbo'ehara
I'm a teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment