Monday, September 13, 2010

times of refreshing

Due to another failed hard drive, the photos that were taken during the KMT's time in Paraguay are no longer available (which means the previous post will be all you get to see of the KMT).  It seems I've been having an awful lot of trouble with technology during the past year.  Though inconvenient and unpleasant, each time I've been made more aware of how dangerously dependent on temporary, fleeting things (i.e. Internet/media/material objects) I've become.  I've seen how far my heart can wander from God, but I've also seen the gracious lengths to which He will go in order to bring me back to him - whether it be through a broken hard drive, a broken spirit, or a broken body.  I haven't been very willing to let go of a few things lately, so I'm thankful for these necessary wake-up calls that challenge me to evaluate what I've been treasuring up in my heart.

Although there are no visuals of what the team did over the past week, like last year, we provided free medical services in various neighborhoods around Villa Elisa.  But this year, each location was incredibly different and the team was forced to adjust to unexpected circumstances.  When we had no electricity, a neighbor brought out an extension cord connected to his own power supply.  When we had no seats, we were offered an odd assortment of stools, folding chairs, and a sofa for our use.  When it rained, we continued our work under the shelter of a tent.  Every day was a lesson in trust, and every day we experienced God's grace in the form of local Paraguayans who opened up their homes and hearts for the team. 

(Some houses from asentamientos in Mexico, similar to the one at PetroPar - via Google Images)
We also visited an asentamiento (a squatter's settlement) behind the PetroPar oil refinery, where dozens of families call their ramshackle constructions of rebar, wood planks, and corrugated metal, home.  Puerto Pabla (where La Esquina is located) is also considered an asentamiento, but it has developed significantly over the years due to the involvement of Christian and Catholic churches in the area.  The asentamiento at PetroPar receives even less attention from the community because of its awkward location, so it's understandable why the KMT's visit caused such a stir among its residents. The children, especially, were quick to shower us with much attention and affection, generously doling out hugs and clinging to our limbs as if their lives depended on it.  There is definitely a spiritual hunger here,which we saw at the end of the day when some people came up to us and asked if Marangatu could help them establish a church or small group there. Please remember these people in your prayers, as Gospel seeds are being planted and growing here as we speak.

If I were to summarize how I felt about the EM and KM teams' visits last month, I'd have to share Paul's sentiments from 1 Corinthians 16:17-18:

"I rejoice at the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus, because they have made up for your absence, for they refreshed my spirit as well as yours..."

The teams' presence, however brief it was, made up for the physical absence of my church back home, and my spirit was seriously refreshed upon reuniting with these brothers and sisters.  The last group has been gone for only a week now, but it feels like so much longer!  Thankfully, I have my Paraguayan church family to continue being refreshed by.  Hard to believe I only have three more months left :(

2 comments:

  1. good to hear that you're doing well, regardless of the hd failure =[[[

    i can't believe you only have 3 months left!! i'm definitely excited for your return =]] i'm also excited for you to make the most of these last 3 months...<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't throw out that hard drive, the data is probably recoverable! *pushes up glasses with finger*

    ReplyDelete