Wednesday, September 16, 2009

miercoles

(Since I didn't get to update much while the team was here, I'll be doing a daily recap of our activities during the past week. Photos courtesy of Joe Park.)

Last Wednesday was the team's first full workday at Colegio Cerritos. From 7:00AM to 6:00PM, myriad patients filtered through the school's doors, receiving check-ups, multi-vitamins, glasses, and the Gospel.


Dr. Oh and several other elders specializing in Eastern medicine performed acupuncture to treat everything from back pain to tremors to headaches. Although I don't have a photo of Cathy and Jeon 집사님, they also checked blood pressure and looked for signs of diabetes using Western medicinal practices.



Eric, Joe, Dr. Kim, and Han 장노님 were busy pulling teeth, filling cavities, and calming down screaming children.


Carol, Sonia 집사님, and I manned the optometry room. An auto refractometer (the old-school arcade game-like contraption above) magnifies the eye to measure astigmatism, near/far sightedness, axis, and pupil distance. I don't know how Carol manually checked everyone's vision in the past, but technology made it much easier for us to serve more people this year.


After looking into hundreds of pairs of eyes last week, I fell in love with the beauty of the iris. It's absolutely stunning, with gossamer strands of muscle and membrane woven around the pupil like lace. From the vastness of the galaxies to the smallest intricacies of our bodies, our creative God never ceases to amaze me. And to think, creation is only a reflection of God's glory - how much greater must the Creator himself be.

"O LORD, how manifold are your works! In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures."
Psalm 104:24

Prayer: love & patience with my first graders, who've been rowdier than normal; safety for the older students during Olimpiada week (a school-wide competition in sports, music, and dance).

Che porä
I'm fine

2 comments:

  1. Wow! you guys did amazing work! And honestly, I wanna know what my eye looks like

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing time of serving God's kingdom. thx for the update CK. Somehow reading this blog does provide a great insight into missions in Paraguay. keep up the updates ! :)

    ReplyDelete