Like in America, Paraguayan kids aren't very fond of the dentist. The children at La Esquina had quite a few more dental needs than those at Colegio Cerritos, which meant more teeth had to be pulled. Which meant more pain. And more screaming. (Joe recorded the madness on video, but I feel bad about posting it online so if you want to see it let me know.) It probably scared away a lot of people, because Dr. Kim and Eric finished their work in less than three hours the next day.
We gave out stickers to the children while they waited for their parents to be treated, and the kids went buck wild with them. By the end of the day, every forehead, cheek, shirt, table, wall, etc. was adorned with little hearts and flowers. It was cute watching the grown men and women of this team conduct some serious business with these not-so-serious stickers on.
One of the most memorable people I met in the last week was a day laborer, who often came home so late and so tired from work that he would go straight to his bed - clothes, shoes, and all. At the time he came to receive acupuncture treatment, he complained of difficulties in walking. It turned out that he hadn't taken off his shoes (day or night!) for at least several weeks, resulting in multiple infections under his toenails, between his toes, around his feet. Watching the missionaries scrub off the dirt and bacteria caked on this man's feet with such patience and care was, to me, a small glimpse of the great humility and love of Christ.
"When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, 'Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them."(John 13:12-16)
Joe's feet with the man's shoes
They burned the contaminated sneakers to prevent the growth of bacteria, so Joe ended up giving this man the very sneakers on his own feet to wear. A pair of green latex gloves served as Joe's temporary footwear to keep out the mud and rain on the way back to the mission site. Talk about giving the clothes off your back :)
Prayer Requests: Gustavo's family as they prepare for his father's last moments; tomorrow's Festival de Esperanza (a Harvest Crusade-like event where the Gospel will be preached to thousands)
Sapatu
Shoe
Wow. That is some intense feet-washing. So encouraging!
ReplyDeleteamazing.
ReplyDelete