We're currently experiencing one of the coldest winters to hit Paraguay. Most people don't own proper winter clothes because we live in a humid, tropical climate 10 months out of the year, which means most people are poorly equipped for this kind of weather.

Yesterday, hypothermia claimed its tenth victim here, while hundreds of street children and senior citizens are being rushed to shelters and hospitals because of sickness and intoxiation from an excess amount of burning coal/gas fumes. A sudden spike in energy usage for heat has developed into a national crisis, with the high demand driving up coal/gas prices. Members of the working class (i.e. taxi drivers, bus drivers, empanada vendors, house cleaners, etc.) are facing an additional crisis as their businesses become paralyzed by the increase in fuel costs. No money = no gas = no work = no money = no gas. It's a vicious cycle that keeps spiraling downwards as the temperature continues to drop.
And in addition to human casualties, the livestock and agricultural industries have taken a big hit, with thousands of cattle freezing to death (I'd post pictures, but it's too gruesome). Not exactly good news for an agrarian-based society like Paraguay, whose primary export is beef.
It seems unfair that I should have a warm house, warm clothes, warm meals, and a warm bed as my refuge from the cold, when I know that there are so many others who can only huddle around a burning pile of scrap wood and newspapers and pray to make it through another night. But even when the rains come and the body suffers and the world seems to be falling apart, God reminds me that He alone is my refuge and strength.

On a brighter note, today is my baby sister's 15th birthday! Although I can hardly call my beanstalk of a sister a baby anymore, especially now that she's much taller than me. I have been pleasantly surprised to see what a quirky, thoughtful, and mature young lady she's become. Her faith and enthusiasm for serving in church has been a great source of encouragement for me, and I am constantly thankful for the joy and creativity she brings to our home. I love seeing the mission's flame burning within her, as she prepares to serve in West Virginia with CPC's youth group missions team in a few days!
I miss you, my little Banana! Hope you have a blessed birthday and blessed time outside of the CA bubble :)



quiero lomite arabe.
ReplyDelete